The GNAT lays strong emphasis on Continuous Professional Development for its members. We organize training workshops for our members to expand and deepen their knowledge on general issues, education, the economy, politics, religion, culture, international relations, Health, the environment, technology and contemporary pedagogical skills, among others, so that they would be of utmost benefit, not only to their students, but their communities, as well as perform their professional services.
Below are some of the schedules of the Education and Professional Development Division:
- GNAT/CTF In-Service Training (Project Overseas)
- Primary Science and Mathematics for Female Teachers workshops
- Programmes for the Consultative Council for Subject Teachers Associations (CCSTA)
- Early Childhood Education (ECE) programmes
- Participation in Annual New Year and Easter Schools
- Courses for Failed/Referred Teachers
- Sandwich/Top-Up Courses for Certificate “A” Teachers
- Untrained Teachers Diploma in Basic Education (UTDBE) Course
- One Year Top-Up Degree Programmes For Diploma Teachers
- GNAT/CTF “Nkabom” Project
The above programmes/courses are run in partnership with the Ministry of Education, the Ghana Education Service, the Universities and our Development Partners. Eg. The Canadian Teachers Federation (CTF), the British Columbia Teachers Federation (BCTF), the Swedish Teachers Union, the Norwegian Teachers Union, the Danish Teachers Union, Education International (EI) and the International Labour Organisation (ILO).
We serve on Public Boards and Committees, among them, the SSNIT, Labour Commission, Media Commission, the University of Cape Coast, the University of Education, Winneba and the West African Examinations Council. We are involved in the provision of Library Services, the Development of Teaching and Learning Materials, as well as training and encouraging members to write books, in collaboration with the Pan-African Teachers Centre (PATC), Lome, Togo. We also undertake research and advocacy on issues of National interest.